Sign up for Take Me Home Program
What is the Take Me Home program?
The Take Me Home program is a database maintained by the Johnson County Sheriff's Office Communications Division for adults and children who may have difficulty communicating due to a developmental or cognitive disability. This database is only accessible to law enforcement personnel.
The database includes a picture, disability information, physical description and emergency contact information for all registered individuals. If a person in the Take Me Home program is encountered alone by a police officer, or is reported missing, the officer can access the database by the person's name or description to locate their information. With this information at hand, the officer can appropriately assist the person.
This is a FREE service offered to developmentally and cognitively disabled citizens who live in Johnson County, Kansas.
Who can enroll in Take Me Home?
Any adult OR child who may have difficulty communicating due to a developmental or cognitive disability, while lost or in an emergency situation. These individuals tend to be at risk for wandering and may include people with disabilities such as Alzheimer's, Autism, Dementia, Down Syndrome etc.
We ask that anyone enrolling an individual is either a family member, legal guardian or is turning in a signed registration form on behalf of the individual's family with their permission.
Individuals who do NOT qualify for enrollment include people with ONLY physical disabilities, hearing impairment, vision impairment, anyone who can communicate via translator/interpreter and children who have not reached a developmentally appropriate age for speech.
How do I enroll an individual?
- Attend an open, walk-in enrollment for the program. The first two enrollment dates are listed below. If any additional enrollment dates are scheduled, these will also be announced on the Sheriff's Office Website.
- Download the registration form posted here: Registration Form [PDF], fill out the form and mail it to the address on the front of the form. Please include a recent, close up photo (non-returnable) of the individual being registered or e-mail a .jpeg photo to the Take Me Home program. Please be sure to include the registered individual's name in the e-mail and that you have mailed in a registration form. If you have questions about enrollment, you may choose to leave a message via e-mail and you will be contacted via e-mail or phone by a program representative.
What should I bring to enrollment?
- Please bring contact information (addresses, names and phone numbers) for at least 3 emergency contacts.
- Information about the person you are registering such as their date of birth, hair and eye color, height, weight, disability, what school they attend (if they are in school), medications they take on a daily basis and any other information an officer should know that may assist them in helping the individual. For instance, calming techniques, likes and dislikes, typical behaviors and language level or cognitive function.
- You will either need to bring the person being registered to the registration so a digital picture can be taken for our records or provide a current, close up picture that will not be returned.
For any further questions, please contact the Johnson County Sheriff's Office Communications Division by phone at 913-782-0720 or e-mail the Take Me Home program.
Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.