Civilian Specialist (Non-Sworn) Hiring Process
The background process consists of several steps that an applicant must complete before being offered a position. The applicant must successfully complete a polygraph, medical exam, psychological exam, thorough background investigation, and an interview a Sheriff’s Hiring Board.
- The application and Personal History Packet must be completed in detail and submitted to the Personnel Division. The Personal History Packet is a comprehensive document covering all aspects of an applicant’s background. Supporting documents will not be required until is scheduled. Applications will be reviewed for completeness.
- A standardized interview will be conducted to assess the applicant’s personality, character, work habits, motivation, qualifications and various other matters relevant to the position.
- Applicants will be interviewed by a Sheriff’s Office polygraph examiner. The polygraph examination will explore information provided on the application and information relating to the personal interview.
- An in-depth background investigation will be conducted. During this phase, referenced and non-referenced individuals will be contacted regarding your employment history, associations to include family, friends, and neighbors. Your work history, driving record, financial record, as well as any civil or criminal history will also be reviewed.
Our efforts are designed to gain a comprehensive understanding of the applicant to ensure only those candidates who have demonstrated the highest values are selected. Candidates must exemplify the highest moral and ethical standards.
- Applicants will be interviewed by a Sheriff’s Hiring Board, who will make a recommendation concerning employment as a civilian specialist. Applicants recommended for employment may receive a conditional offer of employment, pending successful competition of further testing.
- As part of the conditional offer of employment, applicants must successfully pass a physical and drug screening test.
Psychological Interview and Test
- As part of the conditional offer of employment, the psychologist retained by the Sheriff’s Office will evaluate the results of the psychological tests will interview each applicant. The psychologist will evaluate each applicant’s interpersonal skills, personal traits and other factors that have a relationship to the successful performance of assigned duties.